publicsafety contacts alumni bookstore library calendar home
  International Students

International Admissions

Mineral Area College is authorized under federal law to enroll international students.  Admission inquiries should be directed to the Admission’s Office.  

International students requesting I-20s for an F-1 visa to study at Mineral Area College must fulfill the following requirements for admission:

  1. Complete (in English) Application for Admission.
  2. Application fee payment of $15.00 in U. S. currency. 
  3. The check or money order must be drawn on a U. S. bank and be made payable to Mineral Area College.  Foreign money orders are not accepted.  The applicant’s complete name and date of birth should be clearly indicated on all methods of payment.  The application will not be processed without the application fee and under no circumstances will the college waive or postpone the fee.

  4. Evidence of English proficiency through one of the following:
  5. --A minimum score of 500 (paper-based), 173 (computer-based) or 61 (Internet
    Based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).  An official score report  must be sent to the Registrar’s Office.  Results are considered official only when sent to the Registrar’s Office directly from the testing agency. 

    The TOEFL institutional code for Mineral Area College is 6323.  For more information on the TOEFL, contact: TOEFL/TSE Services, P. O.. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151, USA, Telephone: (609) 771-7100, Fax:  (609) 771-7500, e-mail:, Website:

    For transfer students, passing grades (“C” or better) in English as a foreign language course or Composition and Rhetoric are acceptable. 

    --Completed ESL level of 109.
    --A minimum band score of 6 on the International English Language Testing
    System (IELTS).
    --A minimum ACT English score of 19.
    --A diploma from a secondary institution in an English speaking country (United
    States, Canada, England, Republic of Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand) with a
    minimum of two years of successful full-time study with English as the medium of

    The applicant must have taken the test within the last two years.

  6. Official Secondary Education documents translated into English.
  7. Send to the Admission’s Office official or certified copies of transcript of upper-secondary (high school) credits showing graduation requirements have been met.  Such transcripts must be accompanied by the grading system used.  All documents must be issued in the native language and be accompanied by the Certified English Translation (an attestation signed by the translator indicating that he/she is fluent in both English and the original language of the document and competent to render a true and accurate translation).  Records are considered official only when sent directly from the issuing institution, and must bear the original seal of the institution or the original signature of the institution’s records official.  The college will accept a satisfactory score on the General Education Development (GED) test in lieu of high school transcript.

  8. College and/or University Transcripts.
  9. Send to the Admission’s Office official transcripts(s) from all colleges and universities attended.  Such transcripts must be translated into English accompanied by the grading system used.  All documents must be issued in the native language and be accompanied by the Certified English Translation.  Records are considered only official when sent directly from the issuing institution, and must bear the original seal of the institution’s records official.

    Missouri Department of Elementary & Secondary Education
    Missouri does not accredit or formally approve credential evaluation services.  These companies have provided documentation affirming that they follow the standards of recognized national organizations of foreign credential evaluators.

    Educational Perspectives
    Post Office Box 618056
    Chicago, IL  60661-8056
    Phone: 312-421-9300
    Fee: $160.00 (course-by-course evaluation and grade point average)  

    Foreign Consultants, Inc.
    Credential Evaluation, Immigration and Translation Services
    11206 A Osage Circle
    Westminster, CO 80234
    Phone: 303-585-0978
    Fee: $180.00 (course-by-course evaluation and grade point average)
    Contact the agency for instructions before sending documents.

    Institute of Foreign Credential Services
    12 Cedar Street
    Dobbs Ferry, NY  10522
    Phone: 914-693-2840
    Fee: $150 (course-by-course evaluation and grade point average).

    World Education Services, Inc.
    Bowling Green Station
    Post Office Box 5087
    New York, New York 10274-5087
    Phone: 212-966-6311
    Fax: 212-739-6100
    Fee: $160.00 (course-by-course evaluation and grade point average)
    Contact the agency for instructions before sending documents.

  10. ACT Test Results.
  11. Submit ACT scores.  Test results are considered official only when sent to the Admission’s Office directly from the testing agency.  The ACT institutional code for Mineral Area College is 023060.  For overseas testing contact:  ACT Universal Testing, P. O. Box 4028, Iowa City, IA 52243-4028, USA, Telephone:  (391) 337-1248, Fax: (319) 337-1284, E-mail:, Website:

  12. Mineral Area College International Student Financial Support Form.
  13. Submit International Student Financial Support Form to Admission’s Office. The form must indicate minimum support per year. The documentation can be no older than six months.

  14. Proof of Medical Insurance. 
  15. Submit certification of current Accident and Sickness insurance applicable within the  U. S. during enrollment.  The insurance must have provisions for hospitalization, basic injury and sickness treatment, medically supervised repatriation, return of mortal remains and emergency evacuation.  After enrollment, health insurance verification must be provided to the Registrar’s Office at the beginning of each semester.

  16. Good Health Verification.

  17. Submit good health verification by a qualified physician.  The health verification form must indicate that you are in good health and free from communicable diseases.

    If an international student is transferring from another university or college, submit the following in addition to the items above:
    --Supplemental Transfer Form
                The Supplemental Transfer Form is provided by the Registrar’s Office.
    --Academic transcripts from previous college institution
                A student from a foreign country is admitted by transfer from another college or university in the United States only if he or she has attained a grade point average of 2.0 or higher and has maintained status.
    Mineral Area College is a participating SEVIS school.

    Application Deadlines

    In general, applications for admission, transcripts, test scores, and all other admission materials must be on file by the following dates for the corresponding semester:

    --Summer Term:  March 1
    --Fall Semester:  May 1
    --Spring semester:  October 1

    I-20 forms will only be issued when all admissions requirements are met.  Admission is dependent on good academic standing at previously attended educational institutions. Upon receipt of the above documents, the student’s case may be reviewed by the Admissions, Graduation and Academic Standards Committee for acceptance or rejection.  If international student admission is approved, an I-20 form will be issued within 30 days of receipt of the above records. 

    Satisfactory Academic Progress

    Once enrolled, international students on F-1 Visas must:
    --Successfully complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester
    --Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or above.
    --Complete a certification program in no more than four semesters or an associate degree in not more than six semesters, excluding summer and interim sessions.
    --Provide the college with proof of health insurance each semester of enrollment.

    If the student completes fewer than 12 credit hours or earns a GPA less than 2.0, he/she will not be permitted to reenroll.

    Foreign-born students (both permanent residents and refuges) should have a command of written and spoken English in order to successfully complete college work.

    Cost of Attending Mineral Area College as an International Student

    International students must pay Mineral Area College’s out-of-state tuition rate.

    Estimated cost per academic year (9 months) in U.S. dollars:

    Tuition ($202.00 x 30 credit hours/year) $6,280.00
    Books, supplies $1,600.00
    Room/meals $7,238.00
    Personal and Transportation $3,462.00
    Health Insurance $ 900.00
    Total $19,480.00

    Finances and Work

    International students are not eligible for federal aid.  A student must not plan on working to help defray the cost of attending college.  According to immigration regulations, anyone who enters the U.S. on a student visa must not accept part-time off campus employment.

    Resident Alien Admissions

    Resident aliens must be admitted upon presenting a valid passport, Resident Alien card, Application for Admission, evidence of English proficiency (see above), and official transcripts of previous education.

    Additional Information

    Mineral Area College does not provide financial aid, housing or transportation for international students.  College Park apartments are available for rent.

    All documents submitted to Mineral Area College become the property of the college and cannot be returned or reproduced.

    All international students obtaining an F-1 visa are required to file form 8843, Statement for Exempt Individuals.  They must also file an income tax return and any related documents each year prior to April 15 to report all income.  Students are required to complete this process if they are employed or not.

    Additional Information and Resources