Smoking Cessation Resources
TITLE: Tobacco-Free Policy Procedure
RATIONALE: Mineral Area College is committed to providing its students, employees, and visitors with a safe and healthy environment. In view of this commitment, the college is a tobacco-free institution. No consumption of tobacco products will be allowed on any college property or in any college facility. The institution displays notices of the tobacco-free policy at all college locations. Mineral Area College tobacco-free policy will be implemented August 1, 2015. Some of the reasons we this policy was adopted are as follows:
• Presence of underage students
• Tobacco products littering the campus
• Exposure to second-hand smoke at building entrances/exits
• Desire to ensure clean air for all who come to the college
• Provide healthy environment in which to work and learn
PROCEDURE: Enforcement of Tobacco-Free Policy
- The college tobacco-free policy relies on the thoughtfulness, consideration and cooperation of tobacco users and non-tobacco users for its success. It is the responsibility of all members of the college community, as well as visitors to the College, to inform others and observe the policy.
- Employees that fail to comply with the tobacco-free policy will be subject to progressive disciplinary actions as follows: oral warning, written warnings or written reprimands or disciplinary suspension. Tobacco violation reports of college employee violations will be forwarded to the Director of Human Resources who will then forward the report to the employee’s supervisor. A college employee’s supervisor will work with the Director of Human Resources to select the most appropriate disciplinary action.
- Students who fail to comply with the tobacco-free policy will be subject to progressive disciplinary actions as follows:
Whenever a public safety officer or other staff member observes a student who is not complying with the tobacco free campus policy they will:
• Give the student a reminder card
• Ask for ID from the student and complete a report on the incident to be retained in the Campus Police Office and forwarded to the Dean of Students
The second time a student is observed not complying with the policy the public safety officer will:
• Ask for ID from the student and complete a tobacco violation report on the incident to be retained in the Campus Police Office
The third time a student is observed not complying with the policy the public safety officer or other staff member will:
• Ask for ID from the student and complete a tobacco violation report on the incident to be retained in the Security Office
• The student will be sent to the Dean of Students. The meeting with the student will address the issue of repeated violations of the policy. The student will be made aware of information and resources that may help the student comply with the policy as well as the penalties for failing to comply with the directions of a college official up to and including probation and suspension.
- Community members who fail to comply with the tobacco-free policy will be given a reminder card and other information regarding the tobacco-free policy.