Starting Fall 2014:
You must be accepted as an AAT candidate in order to take EDU classes.
Please Note the Admittance Requirements before applying to the program:
- 15 completed hours
- Composition I and General Psychology
- 2.5 GPA
- Background Check Packet on File (You may turn in packet and apply to the program at the same time.)
If you meet this requirements, please fill out the application below:
AAT Program Application
Associate of Arts Degree Plan
Important Forms to Print
Background Check Packet
Missouri Educator Profile
MoGEA is now available at MAC!
Click here for more information!
MoGEA Cut Scores (2014)
EDU 2040-Foundations of Education
EDU 2100-Field Experience
EDU 2320- Educational Psychology
ENG 2520- Children's
and Management of Early Childhood Programs
Welcome to the Education Department!
Mineral Area College has a DESE-approved teacher education program that contains the core classes needed to pursue a career in education and the flexibility to take classes that assist students in their intended concentration area. Individual requirements vary greatly by major and transfer institution and it is recommended that students consult Dr. Shawn Young or Dr. Diana Stuart to map out their career pathway.
- Complete and pass a background screening to be admitted to the program.
- Complete 15 credit hours including Composition I and General Psychology and have earned a 2.5 GPA or higher prior to applying to the program.
- Sign the Memorandum of Understanding for field experience and submit the documents to the Coordinator of the Teacher Education Program, Dr. Stuart.
Once the student meets these requirements, they will fill out an application.
A full degree plan description is available here.
- Students will pass the Missouri General Education Assessment (MOGEA) exam.
- Students will complete the Missouri Educator Profile (MEP)
- Students should take EDU 2600-Portfolio Evaluation the semester they graduate. Students are encouraged to keep copies of all assignments, especially in education classes, as those assignments will be needed to complete their portfolio.
- Candidates for the AAT must maintain a 2.75 GPA with no grade lower than a B in education classes.
- Students transferring to certain institutions must have appropriate ACT composite scores. Most colleges that require a composite ACT score for admittance to the teacher education program expect at least a composite score of 22.
- Transfer institutions have varied requirements. Students should consult an advisor for course recommendations.
Background Check Policy
Students will be required to complete a background check prior to completing any field experience or observation. The student will be required to sign a form acknowledging that if the background check reveals ANY inappropriate conduct on the student’s part then he or she will be required to withdraw from EDU or ECE classes until such time that the student’s record can be cleared or a permanent ruling from the program coordinator is rendered.
Contact us for more information!
Dr. Diana Stuart
Associate Dean of Instruction
Teacher Education Program Coordinator
Dr. Shawn Young